Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My First Real Cosplay!

I have some really exciting news to share with y'all this evening - I've decided on what my first EVER, proper cosplay is going to be: Raven, from Teen Titans. 

I'm basing my look off of her Teen Titans television show - you know, the one from Cartoon Network in the mid-2000s? I've decided that's what would be the easiest for both my limited sewing skills and my poor college-kid budget.

The picture to the right is a reference that I'll be using to design my costume.

Now, what exactly will I use to piece together this costume? 

I started out by browsing cosplaying websites, to see what ideas other people had come up with. As it turns out, my room mate actually gave me the biggest lead: where to find the cape.

In the original Teen Titans show, Raven's cape/cloak is blue, with a black underneath. (Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good picture to use for the reference I showed you above). She's usually cosplayed with a blue cloak, though, so that's what I decided to go with.

This is the cloak I've decided to purchase. My room mate has two different cloaks that she got for Christmas and her birthday, so she was able to give me a great website to buy cloaks from. They're really good quality, and they're warm. I can always get it taken up: my mom knows how to hem things. I'd want it to be a removable hem, because I might want to use that cloak again sans-cosplay.

After the cloak comes what's underneath the cloak: the leotard. Now, as you can plainly see, Raven wears a turtleneck. Unfortunately for me, I can't STAND turtlenecks. I've never been able to wear them. Fortunately for me, I can wear normal leotards, so that's what I've decided to buy.  It won't be perfectly show-accurate, but I'd rather be comfortable, to be honest. Plus, the zipper on the back of the turtleneck leotard is rumored to be very irritating on the skin -- I read about 300 Amazon reviews last night when I was debating on what type of leotard to buy.

After the cloak and the leotard come the stockings, or the tights. Since Raven's skin is gray, I'm going to have to do some kind of skin-paint on my face and chest. To keep from having to paint my legs up, I'm going to just buy nice-quality gray tights to keep my legs paint-free. I have a nice pair of red stockings/tights that don't show any skin at all - they don't "thin out" anywhere, neither my knees nor my ankles. (All the girls reading this understand what I'm talking about here!) I just need to find a pair of gray ones - perhaps multiple ones, so I can have a backup! - to complete my costume.

I thought I'd  be able to use my own pair of ankle boots - but they have heels, so they're probably not appropriate Con-wear. Or Cobblestone-Streets-of-Montevallo wear. I'll probably end up buying myself a pair of no-heel ankle boots somewhere this summer. I'll make sure I can wear them with other things, of course, so I'm not buying an expensive pair of shoes just to wear with a costume.

After that, it's a simple matter of making Raven's belt and cloak-brooch thing, and I'll be all set. (I can make those out of felt, and sew them to the leotard so that they don't fall down, and safety-pin it to the cloak so it's easily removable.) 

Oh, and I have to purchase a purple wig. I can find that in any number of places on the internet, so I'm not too worried about that. It's just a matter of typing "Teen Titans Raven Cosplay Wig" into eBay or Amazon, and I'll be good to go!

All together, I'm probably looking at a $200 cosplay here, maybe $150 at the LEAST. The cloak is $60 by itself, and then the leotard is $20. The two most expensive things are going to be the cloak and the boots. I'm waiting for a REALLY GOOD PAYCHECK before I buy the cloak. I'll collect the parts slowly over the summer and then assemble them at the end.

Best of all, Matt wants to be the Beast Boy to my Raven. (Of course, he needs to lose a little weight around the middle if he wants to fit into some tights!) I think it'd be an absolutely adorable couples' costume. We could probably win a costume contest somewhere - or at least I could. I don't know how many people would be excited to see a man in tights!

I'm hoping to take this cosplay to Dragon*Con someday, but I'll settle for the small Kami-Con that Birmingham throws every year in January. I just need to figure out a way to work some kind of bag into my cosplay. I don't want to have to carry everything, of course! I'm thinking a simple over-the-shoulder satchel that I can wear against my body. Shouldn't be too difficult.

And of course, I'll take picture of my progress and show y'all EVERYTHING!

Anyways, what do you think? Do you have any ideas? Suggestions? Do you think I'm getting in over my head? Or, do you side with my mother in thinking that I'm too old to play dress-up?

5 comments:

  1. From a dancer: I've found most Capezio leos don't last at all and stretch horribly. But, if you insist, order from here: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_TB135.html?pid=291&Shop=Style&SID=575476926
    Cheaper and they'll ship the way dance wear should be shipped.

    I'm a Balera girl through and through, mine have lasted years and don't out-stretch me. Also, they keep everything in. (and are SUPER WARM!!!) But, for non-dancing purposes... Whatever makes you happy.

    Just from a cheaper source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you recommend, then, Kiera?

      Delete
    2. Just a better made leo. I realize you aren't in it for the hyper-extension and stretching madness, but something more durable. Leos--unlike a lot of things--actually have a better quality with a higher price. Balera's a good brand, Block, Leo's (Leo's has this one: https://www.leosdancewear.com/product/ladies-cotton-long-sleeve-leotard).

      Really, it depends how long you want to cosplay as this character. More durable=longer wear, so it this is going to be a go-to, spend more. If not, spend less. Just don't use amazon, using a vendor is much cheaper. (Discount Dance in particular--Dancewear Solutions is fine, but they overcharge a lot)

      Natalie and Mirella are both suggested for taller, skinny girls (which is what I'm guessing you are?), but Natalie is UK based and Mirella is expensive. (Also, no long-sleeved leos are avaliable online) Natalie is really good from what I've read, though, but I could never as my torso is so long and I'm so short.

      Honestly, this might sound weird, but if you look for a dance outlet near you, it'd be worth it going to try them on if you want to be completely comfortable and happy. They'll help you, and can make sure it fits right without riding up or constrict you. I don't know your body type, so it'd be hard what to suggest, but you'd just need to go in once and you'd know. And also, if they fit right, you can go without a bra and no one would ever know. Because that's what they're suppose to do (some weird dance tradition--my school started enforcing it, and that's when I switched to Mirella).

      Hope that helped...?

      So many leos.

      Delete
    3. It does, actually! I'm looking for something that can hold up, hopefully. I won't be doing anything extreme in it, of course, but durable is certainly a plus!

      I only found that leotard because it was recommended on a cosplay site as something that could be within a budget easily. I suppose you can't take the first thing you hear at face value :P

      Not really so tall - I'm about 5'5", but I wouldn't call myself "skinny." Probably average. Finding a dance outlet would require some searching, and I don't know how welcoming they'd be for someone who's not actually dancing :P (And I don't like going without a bra - yikes!)

      Delete
    4. Durable is much better, and much easier to care for. Just don't throw it in a drier, same reason why you wouldn't throw sports bras into a drier. Hang dry!

      Yeah, I getcha. ;) Cosplayers don't (usually) go to the extremes that dancer do, and they don't wear them five or six days a week for long hours (usually). It's kinda crazy, though... dance wear... some people are really opinionated. Like, more than I am. Way more. My dance teacher wouldn't let us near Bloch pointe shoes, and when a girl came wearing them, she just said, "Don't say I didn't warn you..." It was kinda funny. But, where you can get strong opinions, just listen so you can know the possible cons.

      If you live near a major city, I promise you'll have some. You like in the South, which is pageant country, so everyone's got their child in dance classes and there's business. And, just don't tell them. If they ask, just mention a recreational jazz class if you're so skiddish, but usually they don't ask. Steer the conversation towards leos, then just say you've got it. But, they should be used to it, because gymnasts and some (weird) runners also get leos.

      Best of luck!

      Delete

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)