Thursday, May 30, 2013

Retail Therapy

I realize there are a lot of girls out there who are going through a breakup right now. And I'm not going to tell you how you should attempt to get over this breakup, and I'm not going to tell you why you should get over this breakup and move on. (I haven't figured that out for myself yet, to be perfectly honest.) 

What I am going to tell you is what I did today, while attempting to figure out why a certain someone chose to be a coward and break up with me in a letter instead of doing it face to face.

What did I do today, you ask?

Retail therapy.

I know, I know. "You're wasting money to get just a little bit of a high, just so you can *attempt* to get over this guy? That's so...petty." 

Please, hear me out.

I've been saving 99% of my paychecks for the past five weeks, so that I could afford to go to South Carolina. I've been living on $20 a week for five weeks. (At the end of the week, any money that I still had left over went into my bank.) Today, though, I finally got my chance to spend some of the money that I've been making, spend it on me. (Although that trip to SC was really more for me than it was for him...)

I received $155.83 in my last paycheck. After putting up $50.02 (I had to make it an even number in my savings account), I was left with $105.81 to spend at my leisure today. And I'll have to admit, it felt nice spending that money. I was spoiling me. And I realized something: Charlie never really spent any money on me. Sure, he bought me books for my birthday, and one for Christmas, but he didn't get me anything for Valentine's Day (his letter got "lost" in the mail; I wonder if he ever even sent one) or for our one-year anniversary (which was a really big deal, seriously). 

So I spent my money on myself today. Would you care to see what I bought? :)
Earrings from Claire's - $7.63.

Okamiden from GameStop - $19.61.

Pink(?) maxidress from Wet Seal - $16.58.

Blue maxidress from Wet Seal - $16.58.
Cat flats from Traffic - $21.80
I also got a pair of "seamless" undies from Victoria's Secret ($15.81), to wear under my new dresses. (No, you're not getting a picture of those. Pervert.)

So, what was the total amount I spent today? $98.01. And let me tell you, it felt good.

Later, I went to this HUGE used-stuff store, called 2nd & Charles. I wish we'd known how BIG it was beforehand, otherwise we would've been able to spend more time there. As it was, I only got to spend about 20 minutes looking around for stuff. I did manage to find ONE book that I wanted, though, which was better than nothing :) We're hoping to go back on Monday when we take my car to the shop.

So, while I'm saying it probably wasn't wise of me to blow nearly my entire paycheck in one go, I am saying that it helped a bit. Sure, these are hollow, material things, but for just a few moments, I was able to get my mind off of Charlie for a few short hours. It was nice just shopping with my mother whilst my sister wandered in another part of the mall with her friend. (She was spending her birthday money.) 

Now, I just need to find a denim vest to go with those maxi dresses.

Gosh, I love the smell of new clothes.

2 comments:

  1. Some of the best sick days ever for me were spent in a mall. And fresh after my breakup, mom had to go to the city to do something (an interview maybe? she was job hunting around that time), and left me at Starbucks with $20 to spend as I'd like. I got a Java Chip Frappuccino, but they messed up my order and gave me a Strawberries and Creme one. They made me a new-right one, and I gave the other away to two girls who split it. I sketched and wrote and it was one of the best hours of my life.(: Spending money to get over a breakup is perfectly okay, and I think any girly-girl would be proud! ;)

    You look super cute in your dresses, too! I'd say those were good buys, even if "frivolous"! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, I'm not really a girly girl! I don't wear pretty dresses and stuff very often! I bought them because I tried them on on a whim, & I loved the way they looked on me! And thanks :)

      I don't drink coffee XD People ask how I survived college without coffee...

      Delete

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)