Thursday, May 30, 2013

Books I've Read in May

I started reading again as part of my monthly resolution, and I've realized how much I've missed it. I used to be able to read one to two books a day, if I worked hard at it, but lately it's been taking me up to a month to finish a book. (Boo!) I figure if I work on my "set" number of books, I'll be more likely to read! And, of course, I'll have these wrap-up blog posts at the end of the month to display what I've read. I hope y'all enjoy! (And who knows? Maybe you'll find a new book!)


Nobody Noticed the Cat, by Anne McCaffrey. This was a really interesting book, actually, and it's by an author that I really like. (She's not one of my favorites, but she's really good. She wrote the Dragonriders of Pern series.) This book is about a cat that appears to be manipulating the country's politics through the new King. It's an amazing read, and it's short, too! If you love cats, you'll enjoy this book :) I picked it up at the Dollar Tree, too! It was much better than expected. It's just the thing to take on a short road trip, or to leave beside your bed so that you can read a little each night. Certainly worth the $1 that I spent on it, too!


Inside the Magic Kingdom: Seven Keys to Disney's Success, by Tom Connellan. Now, this book is one of the more interesting ones that I've read. It's not exactly a fiction book, but it's not exactly a non-fiction book, either. It has a fictional story set within it, that actually turns out differently than I thought it would, but the "keys to success" are very real. It's more of a "how to be a leader in your company" type book, and I picked it up because I was bored one day. I'm glad I picked it up now, because some of the things in the book are simple but effective. If you're in any sort of leadership position, you owe it to yourself to at least glance at this book. It'll change the way you look at things.


My copy of Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke, has a shiny cover. It's awesome. Now, moving on. This is one of my favorite books. If you've ever wished that you could slip inside your favorite book, or that your favorite characters could slip out to meet you, then you need to read this book. That's exactly what happens to the Folcharts one dark night. Meggie lost her mother to the book, and she and her father are now on the run from the villain who slipped out, Capricorn. This was turned into a movie starring Brendan Fraser, but it's nothing like the book.


This is the sequel to Inkheart, titled Inkspell. It continues Meggie's adventures, as [SPOILERS!] she is now sucked into the book that swallowed her mother. However, the story's gone haywire, and it's not obeying it's author any more. It's up to Meggie to attempt to set things right, before things get any crazier. It's a tale of loss and love, and triumph. Although only two of the villains get their just rewards in this tale, this book sets the stage for the sequel, and the conclusion to the trilogy. While I don't like this book as much as I love Inkheart, it's worth reading so that you can find out what happens to the characters in the first book.


Now we come to the conclusion of the Inkheart Trilogy, Inkdeath. (You'll soon figure out why the books are titled this way; it has to do with a key plot point. How cool is that?) While I don't think the conclusion is as awesome as I had originally thought it would be, that doesn't make it any less satisfying. Well, partially satisfying, at least. There are things that I still want to know, and the book ends on a sort of cliffhanger. [SPOILER?] It's almost up to the reader to decide what happens "later," after the events in this book are over with. It's certainly worth finishing out the trilogy!


This is a book I bought the day I needed something to distract me. It just so happens that I'd been eyeing this book for some time, but I'd never had the money to actually buy it before. Now that I don't have to save for BCT graduation, I can pretty much buy anything I want. This is a very humorous book, and while it can get confusing sometimes, it's worth a look, at least :) It's going on my shelf next to my Zombie Survival Guide book. I read nearly the whole thing in one day at TreeTop while working the Clubhouse shift. Seriously. I read at least 160 pages, in about six hours. (I did do some actual work, too, which is why it took me so long to read it.)

I managed to complete six books this month, which surpasses my goal of four books previously created at the beginning of May. And these aren't your little teeny-tiny books, either; these are hundreds of pages long. (The Inkheart books, for example, are all over 500 pages long.) I probably read around 2,000 pages this month, but I'm not going to take the time to calculate everything. For one, most of the books are upstairs, and I'm currently downstairs eating breakfast, and I don't want to move. For two, I don't want to do math this early in the morning.

What books have you read this month? Is there a book on this list that you'd like to know more about? Tell me in the comments! I love talking about books, and once you get me started, you may never get me to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)