Thursday, October 31, 2013

College Life: Door Decorating Contest

Has it really been almost two weeks since I last posted something? I'm so sorry, guys. Life's been slamming me lately, and I really didn't feel like finding something to write about. Because I'm pretty sure that my life has been rather boring lately.

However, there is one thing that I've been doing that I'm REALLY quite proud of! WE DECORATED OUR DORM DOOR FOR THE HALLOWEEN CONTEST.

And get this even crazier thing -- WE WON.

WE WON "BEST DOOR" IN THE DORM.

Sorry for all the caps; I'll stop now.

 You see, our dorm had this "Decorate Your Door" contest, with prizes for "Best Door," "Cutest Door," and "Scariest Door." My room mate and I decided to go ALL -OUT and create a Doctor Who themed paradise.

To the right, you can see the Imperial Dalek that we made. It's not the right colors, but it works. And the best thing? It's to scale!

His name is Dalek Mycroft.
 This is me standing next to the Imperial Dalek! I'm leaning a bit, but you can still see that the Dalek is WAY taller than I am. I'm five-foot-five-and-a-quarter-inches tall. This Dalek's probably pushing six feet.

The amount of math that we put into this thing was mind-numbing. We probably spent six or seven hours on this Dalek alone! Everything on it is to scale.

We found blueprints online and followed them down to the exact measurement sizes. (We also discovered that my Captain America cup is exactly nine centimeters in diameter - the width of the Dalek's ball-things.)
 We also made a to-scale K-9 as well! It's not quite as good as the Dalek, because we had a bit vaguer blueprints to work off of. 

Still, I think we did really good with what we had. 

K-9 is to the left of the door. 
 Here, you can see K-9 and how close he is to the door. He looks really neat!
And, of course, the door itself. It's not exactly "to scale," per se, but it is REALLY close. We based the design off of my TARDIS blanket that I bought back in... July or August, I can't remember now. 

My room mate did the lettering, and I found the decals to print out (the "Free Public" sign and the hospital circle). I aslso figured out how to make a box out of paper, and tape a flashing light to the wall so that the TARDIS's light would actually light up!

You can see, going down the left side of the TARDIS, that we have Weeping Angels. I drew every one of them! I'll make a separate blog post for the Angels, so keep a lookout for them, all right?





What do you guys think of my door? We're going to leave it up the rest of the year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)