Friday, January 31, 2014

2014 Snowpocalypse

Snow in the South.

Those words just don't go very well together, do they? Well, this week they did: in fact, the snow shut down my school for four entire days, stranded my sister at her high school for over 28 hours, and caused thousands of people to be stuck in traffic overnight and well into the next few days.

All because:
  1. People from the South don't know how to drive in the snow.
  2. The newscasters vastly underestimated the snowfall.
  3. Schools didn't have the foresight to shut things down.
A lot of accidents could have been avoided if we'd had proper warning.

But now that I've got the serious ranting out of the way, here's what I did this week:

(I hope this snowfall thing works. Somehow it took a mini-gif of the snow as it was falling. Or it added in the snowfall. Whatever.) This is about an inch and a half of snow on the ground. The car's already covered with it, and people are having fun walking in the snow. I took this so you could see the road: the curb is almost covered with snow. People were going insane.





And here's another shot looking back down towards my dorm and the hill. It's hard to tell how much snow's on the ground in this picture, because it's just all white.

I haven't seen so much snow in the South before. It's pretty amazing, and I've lived in some pretty snow-heavy places! (Alaska, anyone?)





My boyfriend went and made himself a snow angel. He'd never made one before (he's from Mobile, and this was more snow than he'd seen in his entire life combined), and so he wanted to.

He was surprised that the snow was cold, and that it really stuck to his pants and got them wet. Thankfully, he had a trenchcoat on that's a little waterproof.

I really think he had fun in the snow. We threw snowballs and it was just really fun.







Here you can see Matt with some icicles from the school cafeteria's windows, and you can see me in the reflection with my phone (I'm wearing the red trenchcoat). 

He was so very, very excited. And he even had an icicle fight with this random girl we met! She was also breaking icicles off the windows.










We had to take one couples' picture together. I would've preferred us to be standing underneath a light post, looking for Narnia, but none of our friends were around to take our picture.

I think we had an awesome two days of playing around in the snow. Of course, by the third day, a lot of the kids were thinking, "Why can't this just go away now?" Thankfully, temperatures are starting to warm up, so everything's going to be back to normal by next Monday!

Or so we hope. There's a chance of getting some serious snow - again - next Thursday. This is the one time I'm hoping that the weather forecast is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!


Since the Cat Killer (long story) had his reign of terror at Montevallo, the campus cats have gone into hiding. You rarely see them any more. Yesterday, though, I found these kitty pawprints in the shadow of a bush. As I looked harder, in between all the human footprints and dog prints, there are hundreds of little kitty pawprints tiptoeing through the snow. I hope that's a good sign that the cats are still here! At the very least, they still come out at night.



Even with this whole Snowpocalypse thing going on, we still had Pin Night on Wednesday, as usual. We watched Up and painted jars. I decided to paint mine with a Hylian Shield.

The other side of the jar says, "Video Game Fund." 

I'm going to buy some jars, paint, and modpodge and (hopefully) make some more jars for my friends. I think that'd be really cool to do, and really personal. I'm not usually a crafty person, but these pin nights really get me going sometimes.






My boyfriend and his friends taught me how to play Munchkin. It's essentially Dungeons & Dragons on acid, without all the role-playing (or, very little). 

It's really a great card game.

In this set, I won the game. You can enlarge it and see my classes, race, gear, and extra things. I just had a whole lot of fun and it was really amazing.



So, this was a great few days off of school. I only hope that we don't have to make everything up, because we missed four entire days! (I feel bad for my sister, though!!) Maybe tests and quizzes will be pushed around, homework skipped, etc. I'm starting to think I should've done more on my days off instead of just hanging around with Matt and playing in the snow! But since I barely get to see him due to my schedule, this is a good thing. We had our week of fun, now time to get back to the serious stuff. After all, he's got to graduate. And so do I.

2 comments:

  1. Here in the upper mid-west we call that a "light dusting". :3 We're expecting 2 feet where I live, which means everything but Walmart is going to be shut down. Yayyyyyyy snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in the south, it was enough to shut ERRATHANG down for several days. Simply because people don't know how to deal with it.

      Delete

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)