Saturday, September 14, 2013

Day Two

So I went to visit Hunter in the hospital today, about lunchtime or so. He was sitting up in bed (well, propped up), and he didn't have his neck brace on any more. One of his tubes was gone, and while we were there, they took out the tube that ran through his nose to his stomach (to suck up his stomach juice...ew). He's been moved to a different room, and he's okay to walk a bit. He said that the worst part is, "I have to get up to peeeeee." And he made this face. He's still upset that they cut his New Orleans shirt off in the ambulance, and that they took his pants. ("I WAS SO EXPOSED. THEY SAY EVERYYYYTHINGGGGG D:")



He's also extremely itchy. It's the medication he's on, combined with the fact that he hasn't had a bath in like two days. His mother was constantly scratching him while we were there. He got me to scratch his head and his left side while his mom did his legs. He's also extremely bossy. Like almost mean-bossy. But I mean, if I had staples in my guts, I'd be rude, too. *shivers*

He's also got a fracture pelvis, but it's a hairline fracture, and shouldn't be too bad. They're not worried about it.

He won't be able to eat for a few weeks. People keep bringing him baskets of goodies, and all he can do is stare at them. It's going to be torture. But at least he looked more alive today, and he was certainly alert.

***

I went to visit Bailey before we left, and he was sitting in the chair in his room. He started physical therapy today, and his therapy was to stand up for five minutes, then move to his chair. He still can't put any weight on his left ankle, but he can hop to the bathroom and back. He's really upbeat and happy, and he feels kinda bad that Hunter can't eat all the delicious food. (You should've seen the feast spread before Bailey. There was so much food for such a scrawny kid.) I told Bailey that Jason might come visit him, and he said, "Zac too?" So hopefully Jason and Zac show up tomorrow. Maybe even while I'm there!!

He's got a puncture in his lung that they're watching in case of pneumonia, but he should be going home very soon.

***

Mariana is actually doing VERY well. They were able to get her stable enough to operate on, and finished about two a.m. this morning. She's still in a medically-induced coma, because every time she wakes up, she has a panic attack and tries to rip her tubes out. Nobody's really sure of her mental state, so they're keeping her heavily sedated.

They put a brace on Mariana's leg, put her bones back inside her skin, and got everything set. They discovered that her pelvis is snapped in two places, one on either side of her spine. Once she rests up, they're going to see if she's strong enough for surgery on Monday. If she is, they're going to tie her pelvis back together and do a bit of setting of her hips. 

The doctors aren't even worried about her brain hemorrhage and her collapsed lung any more. We saw her dad as we were headed out, and he told us all of this. He seems very good for a guy whose daughter was crushed by a car.

***

All in all, everyone's doing very well. Better than any of them should be.

The officer on duty tonight at TreeTop (we have an officer there on Fridays and Saturdays to keep peace if anything happens) said that he was on-site at the accident on Friday. He said that Jake was doing AT LEAST 110, maybe more, when he hit the tree. It took just over an hour to cut Mirana out, and once all the living were headed to the hospital, they cut Jake out. It took them over two hours to do that.

Hunter's dad went out to the site with Hunter's sister (Cassidy) today. They couldn't find Hunter's phone. Cass took pictures of the crash site, and the junk that's still there. (The Audi symbol from the front of the car is lying near the tree.)

One headlight was fifty feet, straight in front, from the tree. There was a quarter embedded in the tree trunk. But no phone. (Mr. Greg gave Hunter the quarter he dug out.)


I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the funeral or the viewing. Either one of them will destroy me. I'll miss school for the funeral, though, and I can't do that. I'm a note taker for one class, so I'm very, very important. I may have to just go the viewing.

So. Those are my updates for today.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to let you know that you've been in my prayers, as well as the families involved. I've been reading, but too shocked for words. It's hard to believe that these things actually happen... and I don't doubt that it's going to take a lot to get through this. My deepest condolences. If there's anything that you need (ranting, or whatever), I've always been here and always will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always something that you think only happens to other people. You hear about this stuff in the news, but you don't think it'll ever happen to someone close to you. And Hunter is literally like my brother. He's kept me from doing some bad things these past few months.

      It's going to take a lot of therapy to get Bailey and Hunter back to where they were, most likely.

      And as for Marina...who knows if she even remembers ANYTHING? She's constantly sedated because she keeps having panic attacks when she wakes up and nobody can get her to calm down and listen to them. Nobody knows her current state of mind.

      Thanks. Thanks so much. The visitation for Jake is tomorrow, and it's going to take a lot to go through that...

      Delete

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)