Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Becoming a DC Fan

For the past few years, I've been a Marvel movie fan. I've never read any of the comics, although my friend Erin had all of our friends read her "Trials of Loki" graphic novel before we went and saw Thor: The Dark World together.

I'll admit that I've never seen much of a point in comic books. I knew that some people had obsessions with them, but I had personally never gotten into them. Sure, I read manga (both in physical form and online), and I enjoyed collecting it, but comic books never appealed to me.

Bring in my new boyfriend, Matt. He's a big DC fan, and as most of you probably know, DC and Marvel are huge rivals. While Marvel's more of a happy-ending type, DC is known for its dark and brooding heroes (Batman, anyone?) and even more terrifying villains (Bane? Joker?). Matt said he was going to get me into comic books, so I accepted his stack of Justice League: the New 52 series and went home for a weekend.

In just a few issues, I was hooked.

So, now I'm a big DC fan. I may like the Marvel movies a bit more, but the DC comics are just phenomenal. And the writing's amazing. It's witty, moves along at a great pace, and I never feel lost. (Although I do kinda feel lost in the Green Lantern universe - I have no idea what happened before, only that Hal Jordan lost the ring because he was being stupid or something like that, and now he wants it back.)

Suicide Squad may be my favorite title, because EVERYONE IS EXPENDABLE. Also, the "heroes" of the Suicide Squad are actually villains who are trapped in Belle Reve prison (such as Harley Quinn, Deadshot, King Shark, etc.), and they are offered a space on the Suicide Squad in hopes of having their sentence reduced. Who knows what will happen?

I'm now anxiously awaiting the next installments of all the comic series Matt's gotten me into. He can't believe I've caught up with him in just under a month, and the guys at his comic book shop are a little in disbelief that Matt's found someone just as nerdy and insane as he is to run around with. 

Also, one of these days, we're going to be going to Dragon*Con, either dressed as Link & Zelda, Finn & Marcelline, or Joker & Harley. (We've already done the Joker & Harley bit for his birthday party, but it'd always be nice to do it again, with better makeup and a better costume. It should be fun, at least. Right?)

Anyways, I hope this hasn't bored y'all too much. Go out and pick up a few issues of The New 52's Suicide Squad or Justice League. You won't regret it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)