Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Crying Wolf

I'm sitting in my pajamas at 11:34 a.m. on a Tuesday morning.

What's wrong with this picture? Well, the University is closed today. Again.

Last Thursday, they also let out early, because of the fear of Winter Weather. Alabama's become very, very skittish about snow and ice and possible freezing rain, ever since we were woefully unprepared two weeks ago for what has become known as The Snowpocalypse. We've become so terrified of causing another twenty-plus-hour standstill that we're scared to send people to school.

And in some ways, I get it. You don't want people to get trapped again. (My sister spent 30 hours at the high school. There were commuters trapped for DAYS on Montevallo's campus. People were stuck in cars for over 24 hours.) But at some point, you're going to have to wake up and start thinking.

What about all the stores that have run out of milk and bread? Everything's gone haywire. You can't buy milk OR bread anywhere in Montevallo because everyone went out and bought it yesterday. (I don't know what it is about the South; they run out and buy the two most perishable items the moment that snow is forecasted).

It's a madhouse. I can't even begin to imagine what it's gonna take for us to get back to normal. I'm almost ready to go and get back to school (although I'm also kinda hoping I get tomorrow off, because I don't want to study for my Spanish test!) because I'm really getting bored of sitting inside all day. And all the after-school activities are cancelled because somebody might get hurt in the rain.

I'm getting sick of this.

Come on, Alabama. You can get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)