Saturday, February 15, 2014

My First (Couples') Valentine's Day

I've had approximately eighteen Valentine's Days before this one. The earlier ones were filled with Transformers and Barbie Valentines, all placed into my bag by children who were forced to do so (although there were a few that actually really liked me). The middle ones were awkward, with the guys thinking all the girls had cooties. The later ones, though, have been a bit confusing. There's the time the Stalker admitted his feelings to me (and I ran like a bat outta hell) and the time that I spent Valentine's all alone, even though I had a "boyfriend" at the time (I use that term in the loosest manner possible). 

All through this, my parents would always get me roses and a box of chocolates. My sister got six roses, and I got six roses. This year, I got a box of KitKat chocolates as well. 

This year, though, for the first time ever, I had an actual Valentine. And we had a bonafide blast. We were supposed to go out on Wednesday, but that got postponed due to the weather, so we stayed in, exchanged presents and watched My Cat From Hell instead! I received a Batman & Catwoman tank top (he couldn't find a Joker  & Harley one, and they didn't have my size in Superman & Wonder Woman), a Harley Quinn reusable tote bag (Hot Topic was selling them), & a set of Batman earrings plus a Batman necklace.


I got Matt a Harley & Joker shirt from Walmart, a new tank and some wicks for his Halo E-Cig, and a Harley Quinn statue from his favorite comic book store (really the only comic book store around, Legion). The Harley came a little later than the other two things (well, other four, technically), because we weren't able to go to Legion until we went out to eat the next night. Where did we go, you ask?

We went out to the Genghis Grill. It's a Mongolian barbeque place that's absolutely wonderful. You get to pick what goes into your stir-fry! You can pick the meat, the spices, the sauces, etc.! You can even watch the chefs cook it up for you if you so wish (plus, the chefs get to ring a gong whenever an order comes up!). I had a fantastic time eating with Matt, and we had a wonderful waiter. The only problem with the whole night was that the restaurant we went to was so new, they didn't have their liquor license yet (and that probably put a damper on Matt's enthusiasm for the evening, but the way he ate more than made up for that!).

When we got back to his apartment, we were going to watch The Dark Knight, but wound up watching Watchmen instead. It's actually a really good movie (although I have to wonder, who had the job of animating Dr. Manhattan's man-parts?), but it was so dark. Matt calls it a "deconstruction of the superhero genre." It's based off a book by one of his comic heroes, Alan Moore. Then we cuddled on the couch and he eventually walked me back to my dorm for the night (where, much to my surprise, my room mate was still awake).

Then I got to come home today and get my new phone (I now have a Galaxy S IV) and my chocolates and flowers from my parents. It's been a good Valentine's Day, and I think my date proved that things don't have to be overly romantic for you to have a good time. You can just hang out and do dinner. Heck, you don't even have to do that. You can watch a favorite movie and snuggle on the couch. Just don't pretend that your significant other doesn't exist - that's a very bad way to spend Valentine's Day. (That's what happened to me last year. I nearly lost my mind.)

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I hope everyone had a great day, and remember, it doesn't matter if you're taken or if you're single, as long as you remember to be yourself and take on the world! I promise, things may look grim now, but they will get better. Things will always get better. 

How was your Valentine's Day? Did something happen that you weren't expecting? Talk to me in the comments! I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)