Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Not-So-Typical Family Outing

So, yesterday was absolutely AMAZING. And do you know why?

I finally got to go shooting with my family.

I've never shot a gun before. I've been wanting to, ever since my daddy bought me a little .380 last October (for my solo trip to Kentucky, but it didn't work out due to the fact that concealed-carry permits in Shelby Co. are only available after age 19, usually 21).

So, yesterday was perfect weather, the whole family was home, and my dad decided to take us all out to his Hunting Club and we shot his guns.

Five pistols and a shotgun.

My little .380. (Not much of a kick, but the trigger's too hard to pull. I also don't have the strenght to cock it yet. It was...disappointing.)

The .38 special. (It has a small barrel, and has one heck of a kick. I fired one shot and I was done. It hurt, so very much.)

The .357. (I'm going to save up money and buy this gun from my dad. He probably wants around $1200 for it, because the manufacturer has stopped making this particular weapon. And it is sweet. I want it so badly! I also hit my first bulls-eye ever with this. The third gun I'd ever held, the second bullet from the gun, perfect bulls-eye. It was amazing.)

The 9 millimeter. (I felt like a secret agent with this one. I couldn't cock it, but I hit a perfect bulls-eye with it. I was ecstatic.)

And then my daddy's .410 bolt-action shotgun. (It's at least 39 years old, possibly older. It was a gift from his Pawpaw when he was ten years old. It's killed "many a snake, blackbird, and crow," apparently. He has no idea how many rounds he's put through it. I fired one shot, and I'm sure I have a serious bruise on my shoulder now. It hurt!)

 This is the little .357. It's an amazing gun. Perfect weight, very little kick. Awesome.
 The 9-mil. Don't I look like a secret agent?
 My little .380. Bigger kick than I was expecting, and a hard trigger.
 Sarah with the .357.
 Mom with the .357. (That's her favorite gun, too.)
Another shot of the .380.
Sarah with the 9-mil.
Mom with the .357.
Me with the 9-mil.
The .45. It's got the words "The Judge" emblazoned on the barrel. And what a Judge this thing is. It can shoot buckshot/birdshot and .45s. It's got a heck of a kick, but whatever you shoot with the "defender" ammo certainly won't be getting back up.
Sarah with the .38 special.
Sarah with the .380.
Sarah with the .38 special. She loved that one.
Don't you just love her face with the .45?
Mom one-handing the 9-mil.
Mom with the .38 special.
Sarah with the .380.

It was an absolutely amazing time.

Sarah shot a tree with the shotgun.

These are skills that will come in handy for me one day (although I hope I'll never, ever have to use them). It's always good to know how to load a gun, how to aim, how to fire, and how to clean it.

I also managed to shoot two perfect bulls-eyes, one with the .357 (EPIC GUN) and one with the 9-mil. I think I've been bitten by a very expensive bug...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)