Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Fourth!

It's the 237 anniversary of our country's founding. (At least, for those reading this that live in the United States.) We've taken some steps forward, and we've taken some steps back. Ending slavery? Forward. Legalizing gay marriage? Back. Equal voting rights? Forward. Legalizing marijuana? Back.

It's like a tug-of-war between what's right and what's wrong sometimes. It makes me fear for the future of our country. Liberals say they're so tolerant of everyone, but then they go and say "Oh, you can't wear a cross necklace because someone MIGHT get offended!" (What would've happened if they had asked a Muslim woman to remove her head scarf? Everyone would've been up in arms. Nothing like that happened here.)

I don't want to become a political blog, really. I don't want to spread my opinions around and have people hate me for it. I've seen so many "nice" people become absolute demons when I voice that my opinion differs slightly from theirs. So I'll leave you with this quote, which sums up what I think this country needs to learn from:
I don't think things can get much clearer than that. (And, if you are looking for proof that this is one of George Washington's quotes, you can check out this GoodReads page for a book full of GW's quotes. I'll leave y'all with that.)

Now, can we get on to the other things? The food? The fun? The awesomeness?

I went to a Fourth of July party last night. Our city does a fireworks show called The Big Kaboom on July 3rd every year, and one of my dad's motorcycling friends hosts a party at his house. When the show starts, we all go out to his front yard to watch. It's literally in his front yard. It's awesome! 

Anyway...
First of all, I went swinging on the swings. I did get off, though, when a little kid came up and stared at me. I guess he wanted to swing, too, so I let him. (I regretted that choice later, because I didn't get to swing until two minutes before we left the party.) Later, the Chelsea mascot, the Hornet, went swinging during some of his/her downtime. I'm still not sure who was in the costume, but I probably knew them. I kept waiting for them to fall out of the swing, but they never did. Sigh.


Went walking with my sister and we found this cool truck just parked on the side of the road with all the other cars. Still not sure what it was doing there, but hey. It was awesome either way.

And I'll leave you with fireworks.







P.S. When I was at TreeTop working today, the manager announced over the intercom that "The first person to come to the register with a military ID will get a $10 card!" I jumped up and down and asked, "Do I count?! Do I count?!" Unfortunately, I do not. Sad face.

On another note, the entire time I was there, I don't think anybody came up to the register with an ID card. I wonder why...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)