Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sophomore Year: Move-In Day, Part II

So I guess I wasn't finished with my post from last night. (Or is it still tonight? Is it still Saturday? I can't tell any more.)

After my room mate left to go do more Freshman Orientation things, I sat around. And sat around. And sat around some more. I didn't go out to eat lunch (I had a Fiber One brownie to tide me over). I didn't do anything but sit on the internet and attempt to organize my room. (My room looks neat, at least.)

Around 4:00, I decided that I was going to go out to eat. Plus, I had to grab milk. So I drove about eight miles to Zaxby's, and then I went to Publix (which is right behind Zaxby's). I had a great supper, and got home around 5ish. 

The main street was crowded with all of these Art Walk people. You have to understand, first of all, that Montevallo is a liberal arts college. We have all sorts of artsy people here. So this is nothing new: it was "established" in 2011, but they have like four a school year.

People set up booths all along main street and peddle their wares: glassware, jewelry, t-shirts, drawings, paintings, soaps, lotions, food, etc. You get the picture. There's live music, people are talking to people, and it's just plain fun.

So I went to the Art Walk. It was completely on a whim. I went to my dorm, shoved my milk in the fridge, popped a peppermint in my mouth, and walked over to Main Street.

And it was awesome. I wish I'd gone when Art Walk had happened last year! I walked for a bit before coming to this jewelry stand run by two college students. They had these great earrings for sale, and I talked to them for a while about Doctor Who (they loved my TARDIS earrings!), and then Harry Potter (they had House bracelets for sale), and then I decided that I wanted to buy a pair of earrings. So I paid for my earrings and went on my merry way.

I came to a painting booth run by a family. They had painted glass cups for sale, and one of them had a sunflower on it. So I bought it for my mother. She'll never be able to drink out of it... Or maybe she'll be able to drink, but she'll have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when washing it. The paint's on the outside, and it's not covered with modpodge or anything of the sort. It's just there. It's a decorative cup.

I talked to them for a while, and they were very nice.

Then I came across a lady selling innumerable amounts of earrings. THEY WERE SO GORGEOUS. So I stayed for a long time there, trying to pick out what I wanted. She even had angel wings that matched the wings on my Doctor Who charm bracelet! I ended up buying two pairs: a pair of cowgirl boots for me, and a pair of motorcycles for my sister. (The motorcycles were the last pair that she had, so Sarah's gonna have to clean them before she wears them!)





I walked by this soap/lotion booth, and I LOVED the lotion that they had, but it was too expensive. A 4oz. jar was $10! I mean, I had the money, but I didn't want to spend all of it there. So I said thank you for the sample, I'll check you out next time I have more cash, and went on. 

I saw several other booths that were interesting, but they were out of my price range. There was one table with a girl drawing Pokémon pictures, and I might have her draw me a picture of an Espeon & Umbreon together. I don't know yet. Maybe an Espeon and a Vaporeon, since those are my two favorite Eeveelutions. I kinda want a picture, and they're only $5. We'll see.

I'll certainly go to the Art Walk when it comes around next time! And I'll probably bring my sister, too!

After the Art Walk, I headed to the auditorium for this illusionist act. And oh, my goodness, am I glad I went! The guy was stunning. And he was hilarious! There were a lot of "BUT HOW" moments, but at the same time, there were a few duds. It was simply amazing. I really, really liked it. I missed it last year due to the BCM's progressive dinner, but I made sure that I made it this year!




Then I went to this band's concert. They're called 88 Keys & the Truth. They came last year. AND THEY CAN PLAY ANY SONG YOU THROW AT THEM. Simply stunning. My sister's coming to see them next time they're in town. She was so sad that she missed them. Because they played songs she loved. Next time, though, I'm going to take headache medication BEFORE I go! My head's finally stopped throbbing... Whew.

So, was today good? YES. YES IT WAS. Hopefully that means the rest of this school year is going to be great as well!

ALLONSY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)