Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Well-Wasted Afternoon

WELL.

Technically, I did everything I'm about to tell you in this post yesterday afternoon, but that doesn't count, because I posted yesterday about 9/11 and I didn't want to put up a silly piece along with that. So, for today, here's my post about yesterday.

My roomie (Sarah) and I have a whiteboard on our door. It's relatively small, because I mean, you don't really need a large one. (Some people have large ones, but we don't! We like our small one.) 

So, we keep going back and forth drawing on it. I've drawn K-9 and the Jedi Order symbol, and she's drawn duct tape and a Dr. Seuss quote.

When I got back from class on Wednesday, I decided to take it up a notch. I'd been seeing all these cool whiteboards, and I wanted us to have a cool whiteboard.

First, I grabbed a styrofoam cup and drew two circles on the board, one in the top left corner, and one in the bottom right corner. Then I went to work. 

I drew the Jedi symbol in the top-left (it took about three minutes and only one try, because it's easy). I've drawn this symbol before, and I really like it. (I had to steal a red marker from down the hall to color it, but I put it right back!)

I then attempted to draw the Imperial Alliance symbol in the bottom-right one. It took me nearly twenty minutes and over four tries to get this thing right. I was constantly erasing because it didn't look right. Eventually, I got everything down.


Next, I knew I needed something. It seemed really, really blank.

I turned to the Internet because my Star Wars obsessed friend wasn't replying to my text messages.

I looked up "Star Wars Anger Quotes," because I knew that I wanted to use Yoda's "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" quote for the Jedi symbol.

Lo and behold, I found the PERFECT quote for my Imperial side, from Count Dooku, Sith: "I sense great fear in you, Skywalker. You have hate... You have anger... But you don't use them."

I thought that my board looked a little plain with all of the blank space in the middle. At first I thought of leaving it there, so that people could write messages there, but I decided against it.

I looked up Lightsaber Hilts on Google, and found matching hilts for both Yoda and Count Dooku (CD's was a PAIN to draw btws, but I'm so proud of it!).

Then I still didn't like the blank space that I had in the center, so I decided to use a Han Solo quote from the Original Trilogy:

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, Kid." I think it works REALLY well - and my friend thought so, too.

My roomie was really surprised to come back to this elaborate drawing on the board. I had just opened the door to stick a sticky note beside my board, too. 

I tallied up all the time I had spent on the board (add five minutes for figure out what to write on the sticky note -- I went through four before I figured out what to write!). 

I guess I was REALLY procrastinating, though, because I was supposed to be studying for a biology test. THAT didn't happen. Hee hee.





I was so proud of myself that I wanted to have a PERMANENT reminder of my awesome whiteboard (in case somebody decided to be a jerk and mess with it). I then spent another forty-five minutes doing the entire thing over again on paper. This one turned out REALLY well, because I drew it in pencil first and got it ABSOLUTELY PERFECT before tracing it in Sharpie.

WARNING: Expo + Sharpie + Mocha Frappchino = YOU'RE REALLY GONNA MESS UP YOUR HEAD. I thought I was going to die yesterday.

Thankfully, I didn't, and now I can share my Star Wars art with you! What do you think of it? Did I do well?





I'm going to close out this with a few sketches of my seals, along with the pins that I used for references. Enjoy! (By the way, I'm totally on the Rebel/Jedi side. I just didn't do the Rebel Alliance symbol because it's really freakin' hard to do. I'm going to do it next time, though! Originally, my white board was going to have all three symbols on it, with the Rebel symbol being in the center of the other two, but it didn't work out too well.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)