Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day Three

After church this morning (where I again dressed as a cowgirl), I went to the hospital to visit Hunter and Bailey. 


 Full-view!


 I got to ride a horsie today! (I don't have a name for him yet - what should I name him?)


 This is Pistol Pete - he's the bad guy! In this picture, he's stealing the treasure box!


This is Pistol Pete as he's waiting to go in. This is a completely candid shot, by the way. He had no idea that I was going to take a picture.

***

There are cops all over the waiting room now. Apparently, one of the people in the ICU is a gang-shooting victim from Tuscaloosa, so they're there to make sure that no members of the opposing gang come in and shoot up the place. (THAT is terrifying to think about!)

***

Bailey was surrounded by girls (there was only one other guy in the room), and he was sitting up and talking.

Turns out, he doesn't have a broken ankle. It's just a lot of swelling, and possibly sprained. He had no shoes on when the car crashed (neither Hunter nor he were wearing shoes; they just don't wear them), and he had to kick the door open to get out. That's how he hurt his foot.


Other than that, though, he seems to be doing fine. He's hopping around with his walker. He threw up all the food he ate yesterday (I think he overwhelmed his system), so he's back to eating just a little until he can keep things down.

***

Hunter was actually eating JELLO when we walked in to see him! His mother gave him about three spoonfuls, then he didn't want any more. He can drink water (I'm sure he's excited about that; he was constantly dipping his blue tongue-sponge in water and sponging himself in our previous visits). 

He's not quite as itchy as he has been; he said that the itching was about a 5 on the 1-10 scale, so that's good.

He's had a bath, so all his dried blood and stuff has been cleaned up. While he was being bathed and cleaned up and stuff, they found a pinecone in his butt. I'm not even joking. There was still all sorts of debris and stuff on his back, because their #1 concern when he got to the hospital was getting his intestines sewn up and his stomach emptied. So he's been lying on this stuff for a while. At least all the pinestraw and dirt and stuff is gone now, so he can truly rest comfortably in his bed.

He wasn't quite as awake today as he has been. He used my phone to check his Facebook wall (he's going insane over his phone). He's sure that they'll find his phone once they're able to check out the car. It's still impounded by the coroner.


Hunter's doing very well, though. He told us that we make his day brighter. If people didn't come and visit him, he'd be very depressed. 

I just hope that this experience doesn't change his personality. He's always been bright and happy, the one person who tells me that everything's going to be okay, that I have so much to live for and I shouldn't dwell on the past. He's one of the reasons I'm probably not dead yet. So I hope he's still going to be the same afterwards. It's going to be hard, though.

***

Not much information on Mariana, but they were washing her hair today. That's the one thing that her mother has been after: "Can we please wash her hair?" 

I learned that she's a very athletic person, so having to go 16 weeks without putting any weight on EITHER leg (so no walking) is going to drive her bonkers once she wakes up. (She's got a broken femur. Along with all those other broken bones, of course.)

It's just amazing that she's not dead. If anybody else had been in that front passenger seat, Bailey especially, they would have died. I'm still having trouble figuring out why HUNTER wasn't in that seat. I would've thought that Bailey would've wanted to sit next to his girlfriend. I think only Bailey or Mariana can answer that question, and I don't think that's a question I want to ask.

***

Blake (Jake's brother) and his parents came to visit Hunter, Bailey, and Mariana today. Hunter told me that he thought he was ready. He was blank emotionally while they were there, but his body reacted. Heart monitor went all over the place, and his fever came back. "I wasn't ready," he told me later.

I ran into Blake on his way out, and I gave him a long hug. He whispered, "I'm going to miss him so much." 

"We all are. You should've seen all the people gathered in the youth room this morning, Blake. We love him so much." And we stared out the window for a few minutes before he continued on his way to meet up with his parents (who were talking to Bailey's dad in the waiting room).

The visitation's tomorrow evening, and I'm going back home for that. I won't go to the funeral, because that'll mean missing both of my classes on Tuesday, and I can't afford to do that. (I have a Psych test on Tuesday, anyways. I hope I do well.)

***

It's a long road ahead still. I hope to go back to the hospital next Friday and see Hunter again, if he's still in the hospital. Otherwise, I'm going to his house.

The children made cards in Children's Church today, and they all signed the big card that I made for Hunter. Hunter had me read a few cards out, but he was just so...tired. He probably took a short nap after we left.

Mariana's phone was found by two girls who just went by the scene to SEE IT. They had NO CONNECTION TO ANYBODY IN THE CRASH. They just wanted to see "Where that kid died." They found her case, then her phone (it had separated in the crash) and put a picture on Instagram. "Hey, we found this phone! If anybody knows who it belongs to, come and get it!"

Their Instagram was immediately swamped with messages saying, "TAKE THAT DOWN" "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" "DO YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT?!" and so on. It was taken down within the hour, and she called Mariana's sister saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't know!"

...

YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!

Anyway, the phone was still usable. The sister knew the password, so they were able to get into the phone. It's probably cracked, but they can still use it. 

I wonder if Hunter's phone is going to be in one piece...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)