Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Never Again" - A Short Story

Well, it's time once again for me to grace y'all with a story I've written! This one was also inspired by a prompt that I received in my email inbox. The prompt was, "Never again," she swore, "Never again." Use this as an opening line for a poem or short story. So I used it for a short story. Enjoy!

***


Never again, she swore to herself. Never. Again. She looked down at the knife in her hands, at the blood spatter on the walls. I can't keep doing this to myself.

Her victim was slumped against the wall in front of her. His head hung low, and blood was dribbling down the front of his shirt. His left hand was palm-up on the ground beside him. His right hand held a small scrap of fabric; it was a piece of her blouse. 


She bent down and plucked the fabric from the man's hand, then wiped her knife blade on his shirt. Once it was clean, she placed it carefully back in her purse.


She sighed. I can't keep doing this to myself, she thought again. It isn't healthy. And it doesn't solve anything. She stepped carefully around the spreading pool of blood and walked steadily to the door.


"Goodbye, Joseph," she called over her shoulder. "I'll be sure to tell Maria that you said you loved her." Even though you swore you loved me. She twisted the wedding ring off her finger and shoved it deep into her purse, in a secret pocket which held five nearly identical gold bands. 


Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)