Friday, June 7, 2013

The Hammered Dulcimer

If you've ever listened to Celtic Music, then I'm sure you've heard the stringed instrument in the background. Chances are, that's a hammered dulcimer that you're listening to.

Charlie's been looking for a hammered dulcimer for his Celtic CD for ages; he's just never been able to find one. Imagine my surprise, then, when my grandma told me that her nephew (the fruitcake) had one, and that he'd be willing to give it to me. 

I was ecstatic. I'd found something to loan Charlie for his AIT graduation gift. (I couldn't give it to him, because it was "part of the family" and besides, that's a seriously expensive instrument to just be handing out to someone. Besides...it would give him incentive to stay with me...lol.)

Of course, that crashed down around my head, and I was left with this giant musical instrument that I'd originally had no intention of learning.

The more I thought about it, though, the more I thought, Hey, why not? I mean, it seemed to be in rather good shape (with the exception of a missing string, and a chip at the bottom), and I was sure I could find hammers (the hammers for the hammered dulcimer were gone...go figure) at our local music shop. So, I took the dulcimer from my grandmother when we went to visit her for her birthday weekend. 


 Well, this is the sight that greeted me the moment I walked into her "spare" bedroom (it used to be my Aunt Rachel's room, until she got married and moved out). Just a dusty black case. I was a little apprehensive; the case looked a bit worn... And I was a little scared to see how the dulcimer would turn out.


Imagine my surprise, of course, when I opened the case to find this gorgeous instrument. The missing string & hammers could be replaced, of course. I was just excited to learn something. And this is small enough for me to take to college, if I so desire!! (This picture shows the dulcimer upside down; the long side should be facing you when playing.)

It's going to be a very interesting experience, that's for sure. The only instrument I've ever played is the piano. I've attempted clarinet (that lasted all of three days), and while I do have a tin flute that I play occasionally, I'm just not cut out for wind instruments. But this...this is sorta like a xylophone. Which is sorta like a piano. I think I might have better luck with this than other instruments. (Especially because this is small and portable, and I can take it with me if I have enough room. I'm actually really tempted to take this to college with me. That all depends on my [new] room mate, of course.)

I'm sure the guys at the music shop will be very helpful (they always are; they're the nicest music-shop guys I know, and they're always extremely glad to help with whatever you want them to help with). Before I have anything done, though, I'm going to get an estimate as to what this will cost. I don't want to have to blow $100 or something on this, unless I'm absolutely sure that I'll be able to play it and whatnot.

Of course, there's always the chance that they'll look at it and go, "What in the heck is that thing? We don't carry anything for...dulcimers...here." In which case, I'll try the music shop across the street. (We don't go there because they're not nice. At all. But if we have to...I guess we can.)

So, guys, wish me luck with the dulcimer. I'm probably going to need it more than you'll know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)