Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Old Books, Part Two - Novels

If y'all caught my post yesterday, you know what I spent my Saturday doing - digging through a box of absolutely ancient books and attempting to write down as much information about them as I could. Originally, I was going to look them all up on eBay when I got home, so I could see how much that box was going to be worth. (That was my grandmother's suggestion, at least.)

But now...I don't think I could part with them. I only had my hands on these books for a few hours, but they were so interesting. They've been in a box in someone's attic (or basement) for who knows how long...and now they've finally gotten a chance to breathe again. I was only able to bring a few of them home with me, but maybe one day, when I have my own house... They could be all mine. They're simply amazing.

All of these books are at least sixty years old, and some of them are up to a hundred years old. (Those were mostly the school books, though; most of these were written in the 1940s.)

More after the jump! :)


The Community & The Citizen, by Arthur William Dunn. Published 1907 by D. C. Heath & Co.

The Church Brotherhood Guidebook, by George W. Shroede. Published in 1950 by the Broadman Press.

The Campfire Girls Success, by Helen Hart; Illustrated by Alice Carsey. Published 1922 (?) by Whitman Publishing CO.

Teddy & the Mystery Deer, by Howard R. Garis. Published in 1940 by Cupples & Leon Co.

The Goose's Tale, by Barnaby Dogbolt. Published 1947 by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

The Golden Hawk, by Frank Yerby. Published in 1948 by the Dial Press.

Quote from Ruth Middleton.

Ruth Middleton, by Louis Fara. Pubished in 1946 by the Creative Age Press.

Another Claudia, by Rose Franken. Published in 1941, 1942, & 1943 by Farrar & Rinhart, Inc.

The King's General, by Daphne du Maurier. Published 1946, 1947 by the Sun Dial Press.

Straw Wife, by William Kehoe. Published in 1946 by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

Sinners, Come Away, by Leon Wilson. Published in 1949 by Little, Brown & Co.

How Green Was My Valley, by Richard Llewellyn. Published in 1940 by The MacMillian Co.

Knock on Any Door, by Willard Motley. Published in 1947 by Appleton Country Crofts, Inc.

Time Moving West, by Lonnie Coleman. E. P. Dutton  & Co., Inc.

Then & Now, by W. Somerset Maughan. Published in 1946 by Doubleday & Co. Inc.

The Angelic Avengers, by Pierre Andrézel. FIRST EDITION, 1947, published by Random House.

No More With Me, by Russel La Due. Published in 1947 by Doubleday & Co., Inc.

The Patriot, by Pearl S. Buck. Copyright 1939; published 1946 (FIRST EDITION), World Publishing Co.

Unchastened Youth. From the American Lending Library Book. A couple decades overdue.

Del Palma, by Pamela Kellino. Published in 1948 by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

Dull the Sharp Edge, by Ellen Marsh. Published in 1947 (FIRST EDITION) by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc.

Three Roads to Valhalla, by Catherine Pomeroy Stewart. Published in 1948 by Charles Scribner's Sons.

Canal Town, by Samuel Hopkins Adams. Peoples' Book Club Edition. Published in 1944 ("This is a Wartime Book") by Consolidated Book Publishers.

I Love Miss Tilli Bean, by Ilka Chase Murray. Published in 1946 by Doubleday & Co., Inc.

AWOL: Canine Commando, by Berstrand Shurtleff. AUTOGRAPHED. Published in 1944 by The Bobbs-Merril Co.

AWOL Autograph. (I have no idea who "Pop" is...)

Yankee Stranger, by Elswyth Thane. Peoples' Book Club Edition. Published in 1944 by Consolidated Book Publishers.

Blaze of Noon, by Ernest K. Gann. Published in 1946 by Henry Holt & Co.

Army Life - War Department Pamphlet 21-13. Published 10 August 1944. "Not for use outside the U.S. Military." (Oops...)

Army Song Book, compiled by the Adjutant General's Office. commissioned by the Secretary of War, 1941.

Army diary. It's only had my great-uncle's name put in it ("Uncle Red" is what they called him…), and it's completely blank otherwise. It's a little sad, really...It would've been a FANTASTIC record of service...

Now, wasn't that exciting? :) I've taken y'all through my two days' worth of books. I'm still probably going to look these things up on eBay (although the school books can all be found for free on Google or Kindle...so they're probably not worth anything). I'm especially going to look up the first editions. There were three first editions in the box. I'm thinking that the Pearl S. Buck one would be the one that's worth the most.

Did y'all enjoy looking through my books? Did you see something you really liked? :) Please talk to me in the comments!! I love talking about books, and looking through these books really made me forget my sorrow for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did this post inspire you? Do you have something you want to share? Go ahead and tell me all about it! I reply to everything, promise! (Just be sure to keep it clean, guys! Seriously!)